Saturday, June 11, 2011

Midnight in Paris

imdb   Photos
Plot: Writer Gil (Owen Wilson) is visiting Paris with his finance Inez (Rachel McAdams); he loves Paris and she doesn't. He is romantic and dreams about the writers and artists of 1920's Paris, and then one midnight he magically goes there. Gil travels back and forth between the present and the past, meeting famous artists and writers as if he were Forrest Gump.

Review: This is an novelty movie about art and literature delivered in a time-traveling plot. I liked parts - especially the dialog, and I did not like parts -- especially the slow pacing and the awful, awful, awful soundtrack. 



I knew of most of these authors and artists, but did not know details about them. I think literature professors would like the movie more than me.

I really liked Ernest Hemingway -- he was pretty funny, and very well played by Corey Stoll. Owen Wilson was a great choice because he "reads" like a 21st century man even when he is in these old time scenes.

The movie gets credit for taking on big issues like what does nostalgia mean, and are the good old days really that good. On the other hand, it is not that fun to watch. The characters exist to play out the nostalgia theme, and aren't very interesting. The comedy is spotty, and overall the movie is not that fun. Good dialog can't get you that far. 



I am glad that I saw it -- partially to communicate to our local megaplex that they need to bring more art movies to our theater. I also have seen many Woody Allen movies -- I am an Allen fan. I don't think that makes this movie better; just  that no one else makes movies quite like this.

Cast: Owen Wilson, Rachel McAdams

Directed by: Woody Allen

Rating: 2.0 stars

More: Seriously the soundtrack is bad -- awful discordant horns.  The opening sequence, which is nearly endless tourist shots of Paris, nearly drove me to X-Men.
.

No comments: