Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Tree of Life

All these pictures are in the movie, so you won't be surprised that a story about
children has nature and space scenes. 
imdb   Photos

Plot, to the extent there is a plot:
A woman (Jessica Chastain) finds out her son died. The life of the dead boy is retold in flashback. There are long sequences of wildlife and animations of astronomy to illustrate spiritual themes.

Review: Most important, this is not really a movie. It is a visual poem. It shows pictures, plays music, and whispers dialog to make people think and perhaps feel. For example the movie made me feel sleepy. Also bored. I just can't recommend a movie that I found as un-endurable as this.

There were good things in the movie. There were some great photographic shots especially of architecture, and some wonderful nature scenes.

The movie gets points for taking on big issues -- really the biggest ones about life and death, loss, children and parents. It dances around spirituality, but I don't think it says anything about spirituality, but it might provide a reason to talk about it.

There are lots of things to talk about, for example was Mr. O'Brien (Brad Pitt) a realistic 1960's parent, or an idealized one in that he was always talking about love and hugging his kids. Another example is what was the visual bumper that divided the sequences.

Cast: Brad Pitt, Jessica Chastain, Hunter McCracken, Sean Penn

Written and directed by: Terrence Malick

Rating: 1.5 stars; I left he theater thinking that this was an unpleasant experience, and I wasted four hours (because of the long drive to the theater.) However, the film does provide the starting point for good conversation, and it grapples with big issues. I only recommend this to grieving parents and film students.

If I were rating a non-movie piece of visual art or "visual poems", then this would rate higher.



More: At the theater I saw the film at (Main Art Theater in Royal Oak, Michigan,) the colors were washed out and gray. I think that the photography was probably adequate but the theater's equipment was not up to standard.

Yet More: My wife thinks I am a troglodyte for giving a poor rating to a film that won the Palme d'Or at Cannes, but I am not going to sell out and give a higher rating than the movie deserves.

Still More: The art house movie circuit needs better films than this. If the big award winners are this hard to watch, who will want to come back?

1 comment:

dad24moores said...

Your wife makes me smile, and I love her direct approach as much as I love you sticking by your guns. :)