Saturday, December 31, 2011

War Horse


Plot: A old farmer buys an expensive horse, and gives it to his son to train to plough, but then the horse is sold to the British Army as World War I starts. The horse has a series of four owners during the war, and each one has a little adventure.

Review: War Horse is a kid's movie that is completely earnest, and it is a bit of a fairy tale oriented around the heroism of the horse. Some people, like myself, might find this story too obvious and "cheesy," however I am sure that children and horse-lovers will find it wonderful. 

I found certain sequences painfully slow -- so much that I closed my eyes and wished I was somewhere else. Closing the eyes is not recommended generally because the photography was wonderful. All the sets were beautiful, and the shots of the horses were almost poetic. I also liked the music. 

 The acting was straight-forward, which is about all that can be expected from such a story. I did not feel any special emotion coming from the horse -- as in Sea Biscuit, for example. Sea Biscuit was a much better movie.

The best scene was when Joey, the horse, raced in the the "No-Man's-Land" between the trenches pulling up the barbed wire and becoming entangled in them. A highlight was the interesting battle scenes in WWI. There was a section that reminded me of Saving Private Ryan. 

I was pretty disappointed. I wished I would have seen something else. 

Cast: Jeremy Irvine, Peter Mullan, Emily Watson

Directed by: Steven Spielberg

Based on the book by: Michael Morpurgo

Rating:   2.0 stars, which I think is generous. It probably deserves less based on the fact that it is NOT fun-to-watch. However it is really pretty, and might be good for a family with grade school kids except that the battle scenes were violent (though not bloody.)  


More:  I wonder how this movie would have worked without the dialog. I bet I could have followed the story just fine, and it would not have seemed as cheesy.  
..
.

No comments: