Saturday, June 21, 2014

22 Jump Street

Plot:  Undercover cops Schmidt (Jonah Hill) and Jenko (Channing Tatum) search for a drug dealer at a local collage. Jenko joins a frat and the football team, but Schmidt doesn't fit in at the frat, and meets pretty girl Maya (Amber Stevens) at a poetry slam. That is the set up, and lots of sitcom humor unwinds from that. Spelling out any more is just repeating the jokes.  In the end, they are in Mexico for Spring Break and catch the bad guy. [imdb]    [photos]

Review: A clever and funny movie that was more intelligent than the original or most frat house movies.

In my review of 21 Jump Street I commented on the poor taste in gay-bashing jokes, and this movie clearly shaped up.  Having said that, 22 Jump Street pushes the Bromace trope past irony into delicious absurdity with a relationship counselor, a breakup and naturally a happy reunion.

Jonah Hill carries the movie with his facial expressions. Channing Tatum is the likable set-up with some good gags of his own. Ice Cube plays an great angry boss.  

Cast: Jonah Hill, Channing Tatum, Ice Cube, Wyatt Russell, Amber Stevens

Directed by: Phil Lord, Christopher Miller

Rating: 3.0 stars: Why 3? Because my DW told me that I'd give it 2.5, and I can't have her be right.


More: I loved the spoof spin-offs shown during the credits. 

Even More.
.

No comments: