Saturday, October 25, 2014

St Vincent

Plot: 7th grader Oliver (Jaeden Lieberher) moves in next to  drunken asshole Vincent (Bill Murray), and inexplicably his Mom (Melissa McCarthy) signs up Vincent as Oliver's after school baby sitter. Of course, Vincent takes Oliver to the bar, to the track, let's him watch old comedies on TV and introduces him to stripper/prostitute/girlfriend Daka (Naomi Watts). [imdb]    [photos]

Review: Don't see this movie.  That is short and sweet isn't it. I can't believe I paid to watch this. Yuk. 

St Vincent is a black comedy where I was not amused by how big an asshole Vincent is. It was funny that anyone would spend any time with him. I'd bolt the door or maybe move. 

Like many movies, the child's dialog is far too adult -- so much so that it was distracting. Of course, distraction is welcome. 

Happily Melissa McCarthy is likable and fun. I also liked pregnant girlfriend Naomi Watts. The two women had jobs. Vincent just sits on his butt drinking, gambling, and extorting babysitting money from the neighbors. 

Other low lights include the gross eating scene at the end where Bill Murray crudely eats spaghetti with his mouth open. I hated the Dylan music over the end credits. 

It is too big a chore to watch this jerk. I can't believe I paid to watch this. Yuk. 

Cast: Bill Murray, Jaeden Lieberher, Melissa McCarthy, Naomi Watts

Directed by: Theodore Melfi

Rating: 1 lonely star: Usually there needs to be something truly offensive to get a one star rating, but I am going to make an exception. 
 
More: Clint Eastwood was grouchy neighbor in Gran Torino. It was a drama not a black comedy, and Clint's character went through a redemption. It reminded me of much better Bill Murray movie, Scrooged, where Murray starts evil of course is transformed overnight. 

Even More: Yuk. 

No comments: