Saturday, September 19, 2015

Everest

Plot: Rob Hall (Jason Clarke) runs a Mount Everest guide service, and for $65000 each he is guiding climbers including Beck Weathers (Josh Brolin) to the top. They are delayed, and on the way down there is a terrible storm. In the extreme conditions everyone struggles to survive. [imdb]    [photos]

Review: Everest was a little disappointing. The film isn't interesting until climbing starts, and it is exciting until the snow starts. I found the climbing action confusing because it was hard to tell who was who in all the gear. I didn't think the climbing action was interesting, although the falling was exciting.

I found the conversations with the wives too predictable, and the final conversations were really sad -- but predictably sad. How often do we have wives introduced so someone could cry? Kiera Knightley, Rob's wife, had a great tearful phone call -- sure looked like real tears. Good actress.

I liked the helicopter rescue scene -- dramatic and interesting.

Overall, the dangerousness of the climb was the message. How dumb were these people to risk there lives on the mountain? And also, if I were in there shoes, I'd be just as stupid and try to push ahead to the top and then probably die.

So after thinking about how I'd probably die on the mountain, ask me if I liked it. Well? No not really. Made me feel mortal, which I am after all. This is not an escapist movie.

Cast: Jason Clarke, Josh Brolin, Kiera Knightley

Directed by: Baltasar Kormakur

The Music: Above average modern orchestral music with a interesting moments.

The Visuals: I saw this in 3D on a premium screen, not IMAX, but I paid $3 more that regular. I was disappointed. There are a few good mountain shots, but it is not spectacular movie. 

Rating: 1.5 stars: It deserves 2 stars but it gets only 1.5 because I don't like thinking about my own death. Excuse me, I'm going to listen to some funeral music.


More: .

Even More.
.

No comments: