Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Little Women

Review: Jo (Saoirse Ronan), Meg (Emma Watson) Amy (Florence Pugh) and Beth (Eliza Scanlen) are growing up in a small northern town during the Civil War period. They have family traumas, have romances, travel to Europe, plot to marry wealthy, and Jo writes stories. Jo is clearly based on author Alcott.

The characters are living the novel the Jo is writing, and the snake devours its tail at the end where the 1870's editor gives Jo advise on whether to get married.  I liked this whimsical twist.

The acting is good. The story is not too demanding. I might have appreciated a few more historical details, but generally this is a feel good movie about sisterhood. 

Cast: Sairse Ronan, Emma Watson, Florence Pugh, Amy March, Laura Dern, Timothee Chalamet, Florence Pugh

Directed by:
Greta Gerwig

Written by:
Greta Gerwig based on the classic novel by Louisa May Alcott

The Visuals:
Great costumes. I loved the colorful and carefree beach scene.

Rating: 
3.5 stars: I liked it. 



Minor spoiler: The real author Louisa May Alcott did not marry, and the character in the movie based on her did marry. I assume the character in the novel does too, but I have not checked the book.  Maybe I will.


.

.

No comments: